Monday, 23 December 2013

Ronjan Sodhi wins gold in double trap

Ronjan Sodhi wins gold in double trap 2013

Ronjan shot 27 out of possible 30 against silver medalist Ajay Mittal's score of 25/30 in the 57th National Shooting Championship.

New Delhi:  Ace shooter Ronjan Sodhi won the double trap gold, while another top marksman Sanjeev Rajput bagged the yellow metal in the 50m rifle 3 position event in the 57th National Shooting Championship at Dr Karni Singh Range here on Monday.

Ronjan shot 27 out of possible 30 against silver medallist Ajay Mittal's score of 25/30. Mohammed Asab of Uttar Pradesh won the bronze in the final fight with Ankur Mittal. Asab shot 30 out of possible 30 score against 27/30 of Ankur in the fight for bronze medal.

Athens Olympics silver medalist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore finished seventh in the event with 129 points as he did not participate in the final round.

Meanwhile, Olympian Rajput bagged the gold in 50m rifle 3 position event with Gagan Narang finishing second. Narang had won a bronze in the 10 meter air rifle event in 2012 London Olympics.

Rajput of Navy shot 456.1 to win the gold, while Narang scored 448.6 to claim the silver, followed by Chain Singh of Army who shot 437.1 to win the bronze. Sanjeev, Narang and Chain Singh scored 1174, 1159 and 1159 points in the qualification round.

Nadia Petrova out of Australian Open

 Nadia Petrova out of Australian Open after mother's death

Moscow:  Russian tennis star Nadia Petrova has pulled out of January's Australian Open following the death in a car accident of her mother, herself an Olympic athletics bronze medallist.

Also out of the season-opening Grand Slam in Melbourne is another top Russian player, Maria Kirilenko, who is injured.

The withdrawal of both players was reported by Russian media and confirmed on the official Twitter account of the Australian Open.

Petrova's mother - Nadezhda Ilyina - died in a car accident in the Moscow region on December 7. A successful 400 metre runner, she won a bronze in the 4x400 relay in the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

She had also held the USSR record in both the 400 metres and the 4x400 metres relay as well as the world record for 400 metres indoors.

"Our condolences to Nadia Petrova who's withdrawn from Ausopen following the tragic loss of her mother," the Australian Open organisers said.

Andres Iniesta signs Barcelona until 2018

 Andres Iniesta signs Contract Barcelona until 2018

Barcelona:  Barcelona's emblematic midfielder Andres Iniesta signed a three-year contract extension with the La Liga leaders Monday, keeping him with the club until at least 2018.

"Andres Iniesta signed his new contract with FC Barcelona at midday," the club said in a statement.

The 29-year-old Spanish international's previous contract was due to run out next year and delays in announcing a new deal had sparked speculation about his future in the club.

But Iniesta is now tied to Barcelona until June 2018.

After that date, his contract is automatically extended annually if he has played a certain number of matches in the previous season, the club said.

Winner of three Champions League trophies with Barcelona in 2006, 2009 and 2011, Iniesta was also key to Spain taking the World Cup in 2010 and being crowned European champions in 2008 and 2012.

Europe beat Asia to win Royal Trophy

Europe beat Asia to win Royal Trophy

Europe celebrate beating Asia in the Royal Trophy

Europe edged out Asia on a dramatic final day to lift the Royal Trophy.
Jose Maria Olazabal, who masterminded a similarly thrilling Ryder Cup victory against the United States at Medinah last year, again led Europe for the event in Guangzhou, China.
His side began Sunday's play 5-3 down and lost the first two singles.
But they hit back and their 8½-7½ victory at Dragon Lake Golf Club was completed when Nicolas Colsaerts tapped home from two feet on the 17th green.
Olazabal's Ryder Cup side won eight and tied one of 12 matches on the last day to win in Chicago a year ago.
When Kiradech Aphibarnrat beat Paul Lawrie 3&2 and Stephen Gallacher was defeated 4&2 by Thongchai Jaidee on Sunday, Asia led 7-3 and needed only 1½ more points from the remaining six.
Even when Marc Warren took the two putts he needed to beat Ryo Ishikawa, it appeared nothing more than a consolation for Europe.
But HS Kim then picked up three bogeys on his final nine holes against Davie Howell - who made birdies on the 15th and 16th to level, before taking the match with a brilliant last-hole up-and-down from the greenside bunker.
The rush stopped partly as KT Kim halved with Alvaro Quiros, but Europe quickly got a move on again as rising star Thorbjorn Olesen saw off Wu Asham with two holes to spare.
Bernd Wiesberger then notched four birdies between the 10th and 15th holes to earn a 3&2 win over Hiroyuki Fujita after they had reached the halfway stage level.
It became clear that the trophy would be decided by the winner of the last match, between Colsaerts and Liang Wen-chong.
The Belgian edged ahead and then twice recovered as his opponents nipped in front, before taking the lead again with three holes left.
Liang then had a 15-footer to level on 16 but missed, before he messed up an approach on the 17th.
He needed a 30-footer to take the match to the last hole but he three-putted and Colsaerts took full advantage.

Royal Trophy winners

  • 2013 - Europe
  • 2012 - Asia
  • 2011 - Europe
  • 2010 - Europe
  • 2009 - Asia
  • 2007 - Europe
  • 2006 - Europe

South Africa fail in record run chase

South Africa fail in record run chase

 On defensive: Captain Graeme Smith

South Africa fell eight runs short of a world-record run chase but secured a draw in the first Test against India in Johannesburg by finishing on 450-7.

The hosts began the final day on 138-2 in pursuit of 458 to win the first match of a two-Test series.
A 205-run fifth-wicket partnership between Faf du Plessis and AB de Villiers gave them hope of victory.
But De Villiers was bowled by Ishant Sharma for 103, before Du Plessis was run out for 134 with 19 balls left.
In between those dismissals, JP Duminy was out for five after he chopped on to his stumps from Mohammed Shami.
That left Dale Steyn to bat out the final three overs with Vernon Philander, with the world number one Test team still retaining hopes of a remarkable win against the side ranked second.
A maiden over each from Zaheer Khan and Shami effectively ended those hopes, although Steyn left the hosts wondering what might have been by smashing a six off the final ball of the match.
South Africa captain Graeme Smith defended the decision of his batsmen to play for the draw.

Highest successful Test match fourth-innings run chases

  • 418: West Indies v Australia, 4th Test, St John's, 9 May 2003
  • 414: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Perth, 17 Dec 2008
  • 406: India v West Indies, 3rd Test, Port of Spain, 7 Apr 1976
  • 404: Australia v England, 4th Test, Headingley, 22 Jul 1948
  • 387: India v England, 1st Test, Chennai, 11 Dec 2008
  • 369: Australia v Pakistan, 2nd Test, Hobart, 18 Nov 1999
He said: "The knocks that AB and Faf played, everybody would have been saying what an incredible effort.
"We mustn't lose sight of that in the emotion. You understand the emotional side. I think the context was that it was an unbelievable Test match. I don't think too many people gave us a chance [of drawing].''
India batsman Virat Kohli was surprised to see South Africa limit their ambitions to a draw.
He said: "Everyone was pretty shocked, honestly. We didn't think they'd stop going for that score."
The highest successful fourth-innings run chase in Test history remains the 418 scored by West Indies to beat Australia in 2003.
South Africa's total was the third-highest ever scored in a Test match fourth innings. New Zealand scored 451 at Christchurch in 2002 in losing to England, who hit 654-5 in a draw with South Africa at Durban in 1939.

 

South Africa draw the first Test against India in Johannesburg

South Africa draw the first Test against India in Johannesburg

AB de Villiers

 South Africa fell eight runs short of a world-record run chase but secured a draw in the first Test against India in Johannesburg by finishing on 450-7.

 
India's Virat Kohli
The hosts began the final day on 138-2 in pursuit of 458 to win the first match of a two-Test series.
A 205-run fifth-wicket partnership between Faf du Plessis and AB de Villiers gave them hope of victory.
But De Villiers was bowled by Ishant Sharma for 103, before Du Plessis was run out for 134 with 19 balls left.
In between those dismissals, JP Duminy was out for five after he chopped on to his stumps from Mohammed Shami.
That left Dale Steyn to bat out the final three overs with Vernon Philander, with the world number one Test team still retaining hopes of a remarkable win against the side ranked second.
A maiden over each from Zaheer Khan and Shami effectively ended those hopes, although Steyn left the hosts wondering what might have been by smashing a six off the final ball of the match.
South Africa captain Graeme Smith defended the decision of his batsmen to play for the draw.
He said: "The knocks that AB and Faf played, everybody would have been saying what an incredible effort.
"We mustn't lose sight of that in the emotion. You understand the emotional side. I think the context was that it was an unbelievable Test match. I don't think too many people gave us a chance [of drawing].''
India batsman Virat Kohli was surprised to see South Africa limit their ambitions to a draw.
He said: "Everyone was pretty shocked, honestly. We didn't think they'd stop going for that score."
The highest successful fourth-innings run chase in Test history remains the 418 scored by West Indies to beat Australia in 2003.
South Africa's total was the third-highest ever scored in a Test match fourth innings. New Zealand scored 451 at Christchurch in 2002 in losing to England, who hit 654-5 in a draw with South Africa at Durban in 1939.


Barcelona win the match against Getafe by 5-2

Barcelona win the match against Getafe by 5-2

 Barcelona thrash Getafe 5-2 after being 0-2 down

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Hat-trick-hero-Pedro-revives-Barcelona/articleshow/27757801.cms?utm--source=facebook&utm--medium=referral&utm--campaign=TOISports


MADRID: Barcelona ensured they will finish 2013 on top of La Liga as a Pedro Rodriguez hat-trick helped them come from 2-0 down to win 5-2 at Getafe on Sunday.


The hosts had got off to a flying start as goals from Sergio Escudero and Lisandro Lopez put them 2-0 up inside 14 minutes.

However, the Catalans responded like champions as Pedro scored three times in eight minutes before the break.

Cesc Fabregas gave Barca breathing space when he volleyed home Pedro's cross 22 minutes from time and the former Arsenal captain doubled his tally from the penalty spot moments later.

Barca's comeback means they edge ahead of Atletico Madrid on goal difference at the top of the table, whilst Real Madrid can cut the gap on the top two to five points with a win at Valencia later on Sunday.

Without the suspended Neymar and injured Lionel Messi, the spotlight was on the Catalans' fringe players in attack to make their claim for a regular starting spot.

However, it was the visitors' defence that was shredded early on as Escudero played a wonderful one-two with Angel Lafita before firing home from close range.

Four minutes later Lisandro rose highest to power home Pedro Leon's corner.

Getafe could have even been further ahead had Ciprian Marica chosen the right option and passed to a teammate when the Barca defence was outnumbered moments later.

Instead the Barca revival began 10 minutes before half-time when Fabregas released Pedro in behind the defence and his chipped finish had just enough elevation to take it past Miguel Angel Moya.

Pedro then curled home into the top corner from the edge of the area and pounced on a defensive error by Juan Valera to give his side the lead at half-time.

Diego Castro should have restored parity for Getafe when he curled inches wide of the far post after turning Gerard Pique inside the area on the hour mark.

And that miss was to prove crucial as Barca killed off the contest with a wonderful team move eight minutes later that culminated with Fabregas volleying home Pedro's cross at the back post.

Pedro could have had his fourth seconds later as his attempted lob of Moya drifted just over, but he was also involved in Barca's fifth as was clipped inside the area by Borja Fernandez and Fabregas sent Moya the wrong way from the resultant spot-kick.