Saturday, 21 December 2013

Le Tour de Truth -Verbruggen fights to rescue his reputation

Le Tour de Truth -Verbruggen fights to rescue his reputation

Hein Verbruggen opens his file of documents that he claims show he was determined to stamp out cheatinghe world of international sports administration has thrown up some characters over the years, but few have come with as much baggage as Hein Verbruggen, quite literally, as he is carrying a leather holdall stuffed with binders and folders when we meet.
The former president of the International Cycling Union (UCI) has come to a TV production company's office in Geneva to give his first interview to the BBC since we reported allegations the UCI had taken money to get keirin into the Olympic velodrome.
The 72-year-old Dutchman has got an explanation for that in his bag, but that is not why we are meeting.
We are here to find out who is telling the truth: Lance Armstrong, the teller of perhaps the biggest lie ever told in professional sport, or Verbruggen, a man described by a contact of mine that morning as knowing "where all the bodies are buried".
It is almost a year since Armstrong told Oprah Winfrey at least some of the truth about what fuelled his seven Tour de France victories between 1999 and 2005.
Since then the fallen idol has largely been playing footsie with those seeking a bit more truth before they consider reducing his lifetime ban from most organised sport.
Last month, the Texan decided to float a bit more of his story, telling a British newspaper   he tested positive for corticosteroids at the 1999 Tour, but asked Verbruggen "to come up with something" that would get him, and cycling, off the hook.
According to Armstrong, Verbruggen agreed, telling him to backdate a sick note and blame it on an ointment for saddle sores.
Verbruggen remembers it differently. He says there was no positive test, just an "adverse analytical finding" of which only a quarter progress to full-blown positive status.
He adds that it was the French anti-doping agency, not the UCI, that did the test, and it was the French who decided not to pursue it.
Just to emphasise the point, Verbruggen showed me emails from Armstrong and the rider's team boss at the time, Johan Bruyneel, from 2011 and 2012 that clearly state there was no positive test at the 1999 Tour, or anywhere else for that matter.
Verbruggen does admit he might have had a conversation with "somebody" about Armstrong's test at the time, but categorically denies telling the rider how to bury a positive.
The partially-remembered phone call does ring my alarm bells, but not quite as loudly as Armstrong does with his evolving narrative.
So three hours after the start of our interview, as Verbruggen bids me a cheery "bon voyage" at the airport, I am confused: have we perhaps got Hein wrong?
Before I try to answer that, let me go back to the beginning.
Our interview took place in a nondescript street squeezed between Geneva's lake and station. It was, by coincidence, around the corner from the UCI's old headquarters, a few rooms above another nondescript street.


Clean athletics unrealistic idea - Michael Johnson

Athletics free from doping is an unrealistic idea - Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson 

Four-time Olympic champion Michael Johnson believes it is "unrealistic" to think athletics will ever be drug-free.

Six Jamaicans, including former 100m world-record holder Asafa Powell and 2004 Olympic sprint relay champion Sherone Simpson, tested positive for banned substances earlier this year.
"Athletics is a microcosm of real life," said American Johnson.
"In real life you will always have people who cheat. It's unrealistic to expect athletics to be drug-free."
ohnson, who won 4x400m gold at the 1992 Barcelona Games, the 200m and 400m double in Atlanta four years later, and the 400m title in Sydney in 2000, believes the Olympics is the saving grace of athletics but thinks the sport needs to adapt in order to improve its appeal.
"Other sports may have fans that can put up with [doping] but in athletics the fans want to see the Olympians hold true to the Olympic ideal and values," he said.
"To be honest, if it weren't for the Olympics, athletics would be dead. Off the face of the earth."
He added: "Everyone loves to see people have a race but we're seeing too much emphasis placed on world records and not on the battle between the athletes.
"We must look closely at the sport and see what it is that people actually want to watch.
"Do we need the women's discus? A 3000m steeplechase and 5000m at the same meeting? Nothing has happened to change the sport in my time.
"We need to look at a new format, package it better to engage more fans. Other sports have done it to increase their fan base, why can't athletics?"

 

Nico Rosberg suffers tyre failure at 200mph

Nico Rosberg suffers tyre failure in Bahrain Pirelli test

Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg suffered a 200mph tyre failure on Thursday at a private Pirelli test in Bahrain.

The German's Mercedes outfit are among four teams helping F1 supplier Pirelli with development work in the Gulf state this week.
Rosberg tweeted: "Just spun at full speed 320km/h on Bahrain straight because my tyre blew up without warning."
The tweet was deleted within a few minutes of being posted.
A Pirelli statement said: "The tyre tests in Bahrain regarded a number of prototypes, which were completely innovative in terms of structure and compounds, with the aim of developing the most suitable solutions for the next season.
"This morning Nico Rosberg's Mercedes was fitted with one of these prototypes, a tyre which had only been tested in the laboratory and which will not be proposed again.
"Thus, the safety of the tyres which will be supplied for the next championship is not in question.
"The accident which happened to Rosberg's car is being investigated and the findings will be communicated to the FIA and the teams."
Damage to Rosberg's Mercedes caused by the spin and the tyre failure meant the team had to end its programme for the week.
Red Bull, Ferrari and Toro Rosso are also taking part in the test,  which started on Tuesday and ends on Thursday.
Pirelli asked for the test because it felt it was important to do more development work on its tyres ahead of the 2014 season, when major rules changes come into force.
It is concerned that the greater torque of the new turbo engines will put more demands on the tyres and it wants to avoid the problems it suffered this year.
Pirelli needed to change the design of its tyres in the middle of the season following a series of dramatic failures, culminating in six issues at the British Grand Prix.

The FIA, which governs the sport, has an observer at the test and will expect an explanation for the tyre failure.
It was understood Pirelli would no longer conduct safety testing on the track and that the testing would be done on a rig, before durability and performance testing was conducted on a circuit.
Pirelli has constantly complained, since it became F1's tyre supplier in 2011, that the severe limitations on testing in the sport were making its job impossible.
As a result, F1 has introduced four in-season tests in 2014 to help Pirelli develop its tyres.
Pirelli has a contract with F1 for the next five years but the FIA has not yet made clear its status as the sport's official tyre supplier in 2014.
Earlier on Thursday, a Pirelli spokesman said: "The test in Bahrain is a private tyre test, so most data generated from it is confidential. However, incidents can happen, this is what testing is for. Our testing programme will continue as planned."

Michael Laverty signs up for second year in MotoGP

Michael Laverty signs up for second year in MotoGP

Michael Laverty at MotoGP testing in Valencia

Northern Ireland's Michael Laverty will compete in MotoGP for a second year with the Paul Bird team in 2014.

The 32-year-old Toomebridge rider will be joined by Australian Broc Parkes on board the PBM Aprilias.
Laverty, the British Supersport champion in 2004, ended his debut MotoGP season in 25th place overall, with a best result of 13th at Jerez.
Parkes, 31, raced a Kawasaki for the PBM team in World Superbikes in 2009.
"We learned so much in year one and I am delighted Paul has continued his involvement with MotoGP and given me the opportunity to continue with the project," said Laverty.
"Everyone has told me that year two is much easier, so the aim is to put into place what we have learned and to raise our game.
"The class is going to be a lot tougher with the new production bikes, but our aim is to consistently score points."

Steven Finn and Joe Root support Andy Flower

England cricketers Joe Root (left) and Steven Finn

Steven Finn and Joe Root support Andy Flower

England seamer Steven Finn says it would be "a great loss" if Andy Flower left his position as England coach.
Flower will not comment on his future beyond the end of the Ashes series, which England lost to Australia with two Tests still to play.
"He's been fantastic for the group," Finn told BBC Radio 5 live.
"He's always working extremely hard to make sure that we're as prepared as we can possibly be for Test matches. It would be a great loss if he goes."
Finn, who was given his Test debut by Flower on England's tour of Bangladesh in March 2010, added: "I've had a really good working relationship with him and a personal relationship."
England had won three successive Ashes series under Flower.
The 45-year-old Zimbabwean also guided the team to victory in the ICC W
orld Twenty20 competition in 2010 and led them to the top of the Test rankings a year later. But former England captain Geoffrey Boycott said the coach must decide on his future quickly so the side can plan ahead.
Batsman Joe Root has also offered his support for Flower.
"He has done a fantastic thing for English cricket over his career," said the 22-year-old. "He's been very good for my development as a player. It's been great working with him and hopefully that can continue."
Root also said the team should not look further ahead than the fourth Test in Melbourne, starting on Boxing Day.
"It's a massive game for us and we want to put a lot of things right," he said. "If we start looking too far ahead, things could slip away.

winger Nani ruled out for few weeks hamstring injury



Nani
 

Manchester United winger Nani has been ruled out for "a few weeks" with a hamstring injury.

The 27-year-old, who has made eight league appearances so far this season, has not featured since the 1-0 home defeat by Newcastle on 7 December.
"[It] is a little bit worse than we thought," said manager David Moyes.
Robin van Persie is already out for the next month with a thigh injury, while Wayne Rooney is doubtful for Saturday's game with West Ham.
Portugal international Nani has featured sporadically under Moyes, although he requires just three more league appearances to match last season's tally of 11.
The former Sporting Lisbon player signed a contract extension in September, which could keep him at Old Trafford until 2018.

Luis Suarez signs new Liverpool deal

Luis Suarez signs new  Liverpool deal

Luis Suarez has signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract with Liverpool.
The striker, 26, joined the Reds in January 2011 and has scored 17 goals in 11 Premier League starts this season.
Suarez, whose original deal was set to expire in 2016, will earn around £160,000 until the end of this season and then £200,000 per week over the final four years of the contract.
"I am delighted to have agreed a new deal with Liverpool and have my future secured for the long term," he said.
"I believe I can achieve the ambitions of winning trophies and playing at the very highest level with Liverpool. My aim is to help get us there as quickly as possible."
Suarez admitted his close bond with Liverpool's fans was an important factor in his decision, particularly their backing during his 10-match ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic earlier this year.
He told Liverpool TV: "I love the city and the supporters. They have helped me and I try my best on the pitch.
"It was a difficult time after the summer, but they helped me come back and play and I think when supporters help you off the pitch you try your best to make them happy on the pitch."
He also revealed that manager Brendan Rodgers played an influential role in persuading him to pledge his immediate future to Liverpool.
"He was very important. When you have confidence with the manager you can try your best," he said.
"When the team is together and you are happy in the dressing room, that makes me happy."
Suarez's relationship with leading figures at Anfield has improved significantly since he attempted to force a move to Arsenal in the summer.
The Gunners made two bids for the Uruguay international, including a club-record offer of £40m plus £1 in an attempt to trigger a release clause in his contract.
Both were rejected, with Liverpool boss Rodgers accusing Arsenal of "playing games".
Suarez was considering submitting a formal transfer request and also the possibility of court action if the dispute was not resolved as he believed the second bid triggered a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave the Anfield club.
Suarez was initially made to train alone during pre-season, but returned to the first-team fold on 16 August after talks with Rodgers.
"This is fantastic news for everyone associated with the club; the team, the owners and most importantly the supporters," Rodgers said on Liverpool's official website. 
"Luis is a world-class talent and securing his services is crucial for what we are trying to achieve here.
"What's most important and most exciting is that, at just 26 years old, his best years are still ahead of him and we now know we'll be seeing him reach that potential in a Liverpool shirt."
Suarez's time at Liverpool has often been controversial and he has previously been handed handed two long-term bans.
He was banned for eight games in December 2011 for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra before receiving his 10-match ban in April for the incident with Ivanovic.