Sunday, 22 December 2013

Jose Mourinho demands Chelsea focus on EPL

Jose Mourinho demands Chelsea focus on EPL
London:  Jose Mourinho has warned his Chelsea stars they cannot afford any more careless lapses in concentration when they face title rivals Arsenal on Monday.

Mourinho is growing increasingly vexed by the misfiring form of Chelsea's strikers and his defenders' alarming habit of switching off at key moments.

The Blues boss has so far been unable to find solutions to problems that threaten to wreck Chelsea's challenge for the Premier League crown.

Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba have scored just five league goals between them this term, while Mourinho has chopped and changed in an unsuccessful bid to find his best back-four.

Chelsea dropped to fourth place in the table on Saturday, three points adrift of new leaders Liverpool and one behind third placed Arsenal.

And, with so much at stake when Chelsea visit the Emirates Stadium for the final top-flight match before Christmas, Mourinho has made it clear he won't tolerate more sloppiness from his players.

"If we cannot improve our efficiency in front of the goal, we have to improve in the other end," Mourinho said.

"We have to improve when we lose possession of the ball. That's obvious.

"We cannot just let the players hide behind the fact that we are not scoring enough goals and wait for that to happen.

"We cannot play for that. People need to change their brains a little bit more.

"To be a team to play very good football is an important step. To be a team that plays very good football and wins lots of matches is a more difficult step.

"Some players that are used to playing with the ball at their feet and are very comfortable in the offensive phase.

"When the team loses the ball, they have to be also very comfortable working a lot for the team."

While Mourinho battles to cure Chelsea's various ailments, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger may never get a better chance to finally beat his old rival.

Wenger has failed to defeat Mourinho in nine previous attempts, including a 2-0 loss in the League Cup earlier this season.

In the past, Mourinho has infuriated Wenger with some of his jibes, including calling him a "voyeur"

But, whatever the result, Wenger insists there is no longer any hostility between the two managers.

"It is not a personal battle," Wenger said. "Honestly, we had some big games in the past, but what is important for me is that I am completely focused on Arsenal Football Club and on my team and doing well in the team.

"Once you are out of competition, everybody is different.

"We spent time together in Geneva at the UEFA managers' meeting.

"Here is competition time, so everybody fights for his team and his club.

"Whether we play Monday against Chelsea or anybody else, for me it is exactly the same, because what is at stake for us is to get back to winning habits, whether it is Chelsea or anyone else."

Wenger will be without England midfielder Jack Wilshere, who is serving a two-match ban for an abusive gesture at Manchester City fans last weekend, while French defender Laurent Koscielny is also set to be sidelined with a knee injury.

Wilshere's petulant reaction to Arsenal's 6-3 thrashing at Eastlands summed up the team's disbelief at a loss which raised questions about their ability to maintain their surprise title challenge.

A victory would ensure Arsenal head into the busy Christmas programme back on top of the table, but Wenger has slipped up too many times against Chelsea in the past to take anything for granted.

"Chelsea are a good side with many good promising players, many good young players," Wenger said.

"They have a good offensive potential as well and for us it will be important to have a good defensive focus to find our defensive stability again and to stop them going forward."

Brendan Rodgers says,Liverpool still coming to the boil

Brendan Rodgers says,Liverpool still coming to the boil

Liverpool:  Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes there is still more to come from his Liverpool side after they moved to the top of the Premier League table.

The Reds beat Cardiff City 3-1 at Anfield on Saturday to move above leaders Arsenal, who face fourth-place Chelsea on Monday.

Since their 3-1 defeat at Hull City on December 1, Liverpool have picked up four consecutive victories, scoring 17 goals.

Rodgers, who took over from Kenny Dalglish in 2012, believes that the squad are taking his ideas on board and cites the January signings of Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho as key factors in their current form.

The 18-time English champions now face tough trips to Manchester City and Chelsea, but Rodgers thinks his side can still improve.

"Last year it took us a while to get into the top 10," he said. "People are talking about a good start, but you will see from January this is a team that's been on the up.

"It's a set of principles and footballing ideas that have been implemented over 18 months coming to fruition and the players are enjoying their aggressive attacking football with hard work as the core. And we can get better.

"It's unprecedented to go from seventh (where Liverpool finished last season) to first, but where we are shows the work that the players and the club have done and we just want to keep this momentum going.

"We're very calm and we're not getting carried away. It's been five tough years, but the fans are going home happy and we're reclaiming that mentality at Anfield."

Manchester City are many pundits' favourites for the Premier League title, but Rodgers is excited by the prospect of his team's trip to the Etihad Stadium on Thursday.

"We really look forward to the games. We should have won at Manchester City last year," he said.

"They're a great squad of players and people look at it as Man City's title to lose because of the squad they have.

"We're just taking it a game at a time. We're on a fantastic run and pressing the game very well. We'll get there on Boxing day in a good moment."

With Rodgers using the same team that started in last weekend's 5-0 win at Tottenham Hotspur, the Reds took the lead midway through the first when Suarez volleyed in from Jordan Henderson's cross.

Three minutes before the interval, Suarez broke away and set up Raheem Sterling for the second before the Uruguayan curled in from the edge of the area from Henderson's backheel.

Jordon Mutch pulled one back with a header from Peter Whittingham's free-kick in the second half.

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay faces speculation that he is on the brink of being sacked by owner Vincent Tan, but the Scot, who took the Bluebirds to promotion last season, insists he will not be forced to quit.

"What I can tell you crystal clear is that I won't be resigning as manager of the football club," he said.

"I'm proud of the job that I've got and I couldn't look myself in the mirror to walk away from the people that work for me, the coaching staff and all of the staff and the players and our fans. I'm not going to walk away from them either.

"I've been in English football for 15 years and been a manager for five years, so I've worked with and against a lot of people and it heartens and humbles me, some of the quotes that have come out this week. And I was humbled by our fans.

"I absolutely will not be resigning from the football club, there's no need for that to happen.

"Anything beyond that, I will have conversations with the League Managers Association, but at the moment there's absolutely no way I'll be resigning."

woman runs 500 km without sleep

Wellington:  A New Zealand woman completed a record-breaking 500-km run without sleep on Sunday.

Kim Allan, 47, started running around Auckland Domain in New Zealand's largest city of Auckland about 6 a.m. on Thursday morning, Xinhua reported citing New Zealand Newswire.

The mother-of-four from Waikato region reached 500 km about 8.35 pm on Sunday after running for more than 86 hours, breaking the women's world record for distance running with no sleep.

The previous world record was held by US runner Pam Reed, who ran 486 km in 80 hours in 2005.

Allan beat Reed's record at about 5.30 pm on Sunday, then carried out the final 10 victory laps.

The run was a fundraiser for the New Zealand Spinal Trust.

Allan raised NZ$4,248 ($3,483) by the time she finished.

Zaheer Khan achieve the 300-wicket mark in Test cricket

Zaheer Khan achieve the 300-wicket mark in Test cricket

Zaheer Khan reaches 300-wicket mark in Test cricket

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournament/india-in-south-africa-2013/top-stories/Zaheer-Khan-reaches-300-wicket-mark-in-Test-cricket/articleshow/27750794.cms?utm--source=facebook&utm--medium=referral&utm--campaign=TOISportsNEW DELHI: Zaheer Khan became the fourth Indian to achieve the 300-wicket mark in Test cricket when he dismissed Jacques Kallis on the fifth day of the first Test at the Wanderers in Johannesburg on Sunday.

But Zaheer was lucky to get the wicket of Kallis as the batsman was ruled out leg before wicket even through there was an inside edge on to his pads.

Zaheer joins Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh in the elite list.

A fit again Zaheer came up with a superb bowling effort to grab 4/88 in the first innings.

Zaheer has gone through a lot of late. Injuries, lack of form and fitness issues had seen him out of the Indian team for quite a while. It was a difficult road back for him to come back.

Zaheer, when he started off in the Champions Trophy in Kenya in 1999, used to work up a pace of 140 plus. Over the years his pace came down but he added some more skill in his repertoire like the knuckle ball and the art of reverse swinging the old ball.

Zaheer, alongwith Yuvraj Singh, trained hard for 42 days at a stretch at Metasport Athletic Performance Centre in France where they learned new things in terms of exercise, food and diet.

Known for his ability to swing the ball both ways, Zaheer is regarded as the best fast bowler emerged from India after Kapil Dev and considered among the best left-hand fast bowlers in the world along with Wasim Akram and Chaminda Vaas.

Zaheer was the highest wicket-taker for India in the 2011 World Cup, reinventing himself from several injuries to become the backbone of Indian pace attack.

Zaheer had rocked international cricket when he clean bowled Steve Waugh in the Champions Trophy in 2000 and it was largely due to Zaheer's exploits with the ball that India won a Test series in England under the captaincy of Rahul Dravid in 2007.

Zaheer, who turned 35 on October 7, 2013, worked with a world-renowned trainer for six weeks in France to get back in shape and then went to South Africa to work with a specialist on his fielding and bowling.

It's remarkable to note what Zaheer Khan has achieved despite having a career that has been hit by several injuries.

New Zealand to series win over West Indies

 New Zealand to series win over West Indies

Hamilton:  New Zealand cruised to an eight-wicket win over the West Indies on Sunday to claim their first victory in a three-Test series in nearly eight years.

The home side, needing just 122 runs to seal the series 2-0, reached their target for the loss of just two wickets after the West Indies collapsed in the face of a hostile spell of New Zealand swing bowling.

Hamish Rutherford, who sealed the victory with a boundary to take New Zealand to 124-2, finished on 48 not out, with Ross Taylor on two.

Peter Fulton was the first wicket to fall, caught and bowled by Darren Sammy for 10, and Kane Williamson fell for 56, bowled by Veerasammy Permaul.

New Zealand take the series 2-0 after the first Test in Dunedin was drawn and they won the second by an innings and 73 runs in Wellington.

It was the first time New Zealand have achieved back-to-back Test victories against a top-eight side since March 2006 -- also against the West Indies.

New Zealand resumed the fourth morning at 6-0 and although Sunil Narine bowled unchanged through the first session he went without reward.

Rutherford, who was stuck at the spinner's end for nine consecutive overs at one stage, offered a chance on 20 but Permaul did not see the ball early enough and it landed short of his grasp.

When on 24 he was given out caught behind, but the decision was overturned on appeal with the video replay showing the sound was the bat hitting the ground.

It was a remarkable turnaround for the home side after the West Indies felt they were in command the previous day, with an 18-run first innings lead and New Zealand struggling to handle Narine on a turning wicket.

But the West Indies suffered from questionable shot selections against the swing bowling of Trent Boult and Tim Southee.

Boult and Southee, along with the batting of Ross Taylor, laid the foundations of New Zealand's success.

Taylor, with 131 in the first innings, scored 495 in five innings in the series and he was only dismissed twice.

Boult (four for 23) and Southee (3-12) destroyed the West Indies' second innings. Over the three Tests, Boult took 20 wickets at 15.40 and Southee claimed 18 scalps at 18.11.

New Zealand and the West Indies will now play five one-day internationals and two Twenty20 fixtures before India arrive in New Zealand next month for a two-Test series.

Bayern Munich win Club World Cup 2013

Bayern Munich win Club World Cup 2013

Marrakech:  European champions Bayern Munich claimed their fifth title of 2013 as they lifted the Club World Cup with a 2-0 win over Raja Casablanca in Saturday's final.

The Bavarian giants had few problems against Moroccan champions Raja as Bayern grabbed both goals inside the opening 22 minutes from Brazil centre-back Dante, then midfielder Thiago.

Having become the first German team to win the treble of Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup titles last season, Bayern now add the Club World Cup to the UEFA Super Cup title they won in August.

This was the third time Bayern coach Pep Guardiola has won the Club World Cup after lifting the trophy with Barcelona in 2009 and 2011.

"2013 is now finished and it's behind us," said Guardiola.

"Five titles is really a great achievement. I am proud of this club and for all the people involved."

He added: "Since my arrival I have tried to care for the heritage of the club.

"Now I will try and add other things that I hope will be positive for the club. We have to turn to the future."

Raja coach Faouzi Benzarti said he was proud of his team's efforts.

"I think my players were a little nervous in the first half, with the crowd and with the king being present," he said.

"But to lose to Bayern by only 2-0 is very honourable."

Bayern winger Franck Ribery was voted player of the tournament. The France winger must wait until January 13 to find out if he has beaten Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to the Ballon d'Or.

Even without injured Germany star Bastian Schweinsteiger and Netherlands winger Arjen Robben, Guardiola's Bayern had too much firepower for Raja at the 45,000 sell-out Marrakech Stadium.

Just as they had done in Wednesday's 3-0 semi-final win over Asian champions Guangzhou Evergrande, the Germans dominated throughout.

Bayern took the lead after only seven minutes when Germany star Jerome Boateng found his centre-back partner Dante onside with the goal at his mercy.

The Raja offside trap had failed and with his second touch, Dante hit the back of the net.

Munich doubled their lead on 22 minutes when left-back David Alaba won the ball, then laid it back for Thiago, who blasted his shot into the top right-hand corner from the edge of the area.

Bayern gifted Casablanca a strong first-half chance when goalkeeper Manuel Neuer's lazy clearance was snapped up by Chemseddine Chtibi who fired wide from 26 metres out with 38 minutes gone.

The Moroccans have earned admirers for a tremendous run which saw them beat Auckland City, Monterrey and Atletico Mineiro en route to the final where they had plenty of home support.

With time running out, they so nearly grabbed a consolation goal.

After substitute Vianney Mabide's shot was parried by Neuer, Raja's captain Mouhcine Moutouali fired the rebound over the bar six minutes from time.

Bayern are on course to defend all their titles in 2014 having reached the Champions League knock-out phase as group winners.

They are also seven points clear in the Bundesliga with a game in hand having broken or equalled 25 German league records last season.

In the third-place play-off earlier Saturday, Atletico Mineiro defeated Guangzhou 3-2 thanks to a last-minute strike from substitute Luan.

The Brazilians played the closing minutes of the match with 10 men after veteran star Ronaldinho, who had scored his team's second goal, was red-carded.

Graeme Swann quits international cricket in Ashes 13-14

Graeme Swann quits international cricket in Ashes 13-14

 Graeme Swann quits international cricket in Ashes bombshell

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Graeme-Swann-quits-international-cricket-in-Ashes-bombshell/articleshow/27745575.cms?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=TOISports

MELBOURNE: England spinner Graeme Swann announced on Sunday that he is retiring from international and first-class cricket with immediate effect in a shock announcement midway through the Ashes tour.

"After a great deal of consideration I have decided to call it a day on my international and first-class career," Swann, 34, said in a statement.

"This decision has been very difficult seeing as the England team has been my family for seven years now, but I feel that now is the right time to step down."

Off-spinner Swann, a popular character in the England team, has been under pressure to keep his place in the squad after taking seven wickets at an average of 80.00 in the three Ashes Tests in Australia.

Swann is widely regarded as world cricket's premier spinner, with 255 wickets in 60 Tests at 29.96 since his Test debut in 2008. He is the sixth-leading Test wicket taker of all time for England.

Swann's shock decision comes a week after England lost the Ashes to Australia following a heavy defeat in the Perth Test to give the home side an unassailable 3-0 series lead with two Tests to play.

His abrupt retirement call means he will be unavailable for the fourth Test, starting in Melbourne on Thursday, and further unsettles the England team following the departure of batsman Jonathan Trott with a stress-related illness earlier in the tour.

"With two games to go in Australia and then a fiercely competitive summer against Sri Lanka and India I feel that it is a great time for someone else to strap themselves in and hopefully enjoy the ride as much as I have," Swann said.

"I'd like to thank all my England teammates for their non-stop support and camaraderie and of course wish Andy Flower and Alastair Cook all the success in the world for the future.

"First and foremost I am a fervent England fan at heart." England team director Andy Flower said: "Graeme Swann has made an outstanding contribution to the England cricket team in all formats throughout an incredibly successful career, and I would like to congratulate him on all that he has achieved.

"His commitment, competitive spirit and sense of humour have been recognised and admired by teammates and supporters alike, and he has played a big part in England's success over the last five years.

"The dressing room will be a very different place without Graeme's unique personality and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future."

Former England captain Michael Vaughan tweeted: "Too soon IMO for Graeme Swann 2 retire but it's been a absolute pleasure watching him perform for many years. Finger spin out of the top draw.

"Of all the England players over the last 20 yrs he is the one the team (will) miss the most ... Spinners of his quality are a rare breed."