Friday, 27 September 2013
Liverpool chief says Suarez damaged club brand
LONDON: While pleased Luis Suarez is back in action following a biting ban, Liverpool is still concerned about the damage the striker caused for the club's brand globally.
The 10-match suspension for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a game in April came after Suarez had been banned for eight games after racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra in 2011.
"Any types of incident of that nature are damaging to a brand," Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre said on Thursday.
Suarez returned to action in a 1-0 loss to Manchester United in the League Cup on Wednesday, although the Uruguay striker hoped not to be playing in a Liverpool shirt again.
Throughout the offseason, rather than focusing on repairing his image, Suarez was publicly pushing for a transfer away from Liverpool in search of Champions League football. Liverpool, though, was steadfast in rejecting bids from Arsenal for the Uruguay international and put him through a rehabilitation process to try and ensure there are no further incidents that harm the club.
"Luis is a footballer, he's a street fighter, he's a larger-than-life character," Ayre said at the Sport Industry Group Breakfast Club in London. "Nobody is condoning any bad behavior but it's just something you have to deal with. He is what he is, he is the character he is, and we have to try and harness that.
"We have worked a lot with Luis since the last incident with Ivanovic and he has responded well to that. He has been prepared to commit to that sort of work on his character."
While Ayre said Suarez's misdemeanors haven't hit sponsorship revenue, the 121-year-old club wants to ensure its principles are upheld.
"We are very much an institution and we base ourselves on family values, and when your kids are naughty you tell them off and you try to teach them the error of your ways _ it's no different," Ayre said.
"Every time you have a negative issue like that particular one then of course it's damaging, but the important thing is to put it right and restore the integrity of the football club. And I believe that's what we did."
The club and its American ownership backed Suarez after the racist-abuse verdict, hitting out at the English Football Association process.
After Suarez sunk his teeth into Ivanovic during a Premier League game in April, Liverpool immediately condemned the player's actions, while still claiming he was being victimized with his hefty sanction.
But Liverpool, whose principal owner is sports tycoon John Henry, has learnt lessons from how it handled the Suarez cases.
"What's important at those times is to ensure we act respectively and professionally as a football club, and in the past we've got some of that wrong and more recently we got that right," Ayre said.
"We have a process now," he added. "It's not a Luis Suarez process _ it's a process for any crisis whether it's on the pitch or off the pitch."
For now, Suarez is back helping Liverpool's bid to return to the top four and qualify for the Champions League again.
"I'm here to help the team and help Liverpool and I'll try my best," Suarez said after the game at Old Trafford.
And Ayre was glad to see him back "terrorizing defenders."
"He is a great team member," Ayre said. "The players are supportive of him and he is supportive of them. The most important thing is that he is on the football pitch, and most importantly committed to playing for Liverpool.
The 10-match suspension for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a game in April came after Suarez had been banned for eight games after racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra in 2011.
"Any types of incident of that nature are damaging to a brand," Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre said on Thursday.
Suarez returned to action in a 1-0 loss to Manchester United in the League Cup on Wednesday, although the Uruguay striker hoped not to be playing in a Liverpool shirt again.
Throughout the offseason, rather than focusing on repairing his image, Suarez was publicly pushing for a transfer away from Liverpool in search of Champions League football. Liverpool, though, was steadfast in rejecting bids from Arsenal for the Uruguay international and put him through a rehabilitation process to try and ensure there are no further incidents that harm the club.
"Luis is a footballer, he's a street fighter, he's a larger-than-life character," Ayre said at the Sport Industry Group Breakfast Club in London. "Nobody is condoning any bad behavior but it's just something you have to deal with. He is what he is, he is the character he is, and we have to try and harness that.
"We have worked a lot with Luis since the last incident with Ivanovic and he has responded well to that. He has been prepared to commit to that sort of work on his character."
While Ayre said Suarez's misdemeanors haven't hit sponsorship revenue, the 121-year-old club wants to ensure its principles are upheld.
"We are very much an institution and we base ourselves on family values, and when your kids are naughty you tell them off and you try to teach them the error of your ways _ it's no different," Ayre said.
"Every time you have a negative issue like that particular one then of course it's damaging, but the important thing is to put it right and restore the integrity of the football club. And I believe that's what we did."
The club and its American ownership backed Suarez after the racist-abuse verdict, hitting out at the English Football Association process.
After Suarez sunk his teeth into Ivanovic during a Premier League game in April, Liverpool immediately condemned the player's actions, while still claiming he was being victimized with his hefty sanction.
But Liverpool, whose principal owner is sports tycoon John Henry, has learnt lessons from how it handled the Suarez cases.
"What's important at those times is to ensure we act respectively and professionally as a football club, and in the past we've got some of that wrong and more recently we got that right," Ayre said.
"We have a process now," he added. "It's not a Luis Suarez process _ it's a process for any crisis whether it's on the pitch or off the pitch."
For now, Suarez is back helping Liverpool's bid to return to the top four and qualify for the Champions League again.
"I'm here to help the team and help Liverpool and I'll try my best," Suarez said after the game at Old Trafford.
And Ayre was glad to see him back "terrorizing defenders."
"He is a great team member," Ayre said. "The players are supportive of him and he is supportive of them. The most important thing is that he is on the football pitch, and most importantly committed to playing for Liverpool.
Martina Hingis accused of assaulting husband

The husband of former tennis champ Martina Hingis
has accused his wife and mother-in-law of assaulting him and has left
Switzerland fearing for his life, the Blick daily reported on Thursday.
Police in the northern Swiss canton of Schwyz confirmed that Thibault Hutin was in the process of filing a complaint following an incident at the couple's apartment in the village of Feusisberg.
The 27-year-old French equestrian had talked to police on Tuesday about "serious problems" at his home on Monday evening, police spokesman David Mynall said.
"He has started the process of filing a complaint, but it hasn't been finished yet," he said, not specifying the nature of the incident or who the complaint was being filed against.
Hutin, however, told Blick that his 32-year-old wife, the former world number one, her mother and her mother's boyfriend had "beaten and scratched" him.
The boyfriend had also struck him in the head with a DVD player, he said, adding that he was so "terrified" he had fled to Paris.
"I'm really afraid. What will be next, a bullet?" he asked in the interview.
Hingis, the winner of five Grand Slam singles titles, came back from six years of retirement in July this year to play doubles.
Hingis, who could not be immediately reached for comment, was reportedly in Tokyo to take part in a 30th anniversary celebration for the WTA tournament.
She had originally been set to take part in the Pan Pacific Open women's tennis tournament in Tokyo this week, but withdrew for "personal reasons," organisers said earlier this month.
Police in the northern Swiss canton of Schwyz confirmed that Thibault Hutin was in the process of filing a complaint following an incident at the couple's apartment in the village of Feusisberg.
The 27-year-old French equestrian had talked to police on Tuesday about "serious problems" at his home on Monday evening, police spokesman David Mynall said.
"He has started the process of filing a complaint, but it hasn't been finished yet," he said, not specifying the nature of the incident or who the complaint was being filed against.
Hutin, however, told Blick that his 32-year-old wife, the former world number one, her mother and her mother's boyfriend had "beaten and scratched" him.
The boyfriend had also struck him in the head with a DVD player, he said, adding that he was so "terrified" he had fled to Paris.
"I'm really afraid. What will be next, a bullet?" he asked in the interview.
Hingis, the winner of five Grand Slam singles titles, came back from six years of retirement in July this year to play doubles.
Hingis, who could not be immediately reached for comment, was reportedly in Tokyo to take part in a 30th anniversary celebration for the WTA tournament.
She had originally been set to take part in the Pan Pacific Open women's tennis tournament in Tokyo this week, but withdrew for "personal reasons," organisers said earlier this month.
India thrash South Korea 6-1 in Sultan of Johor Cup
JOHOR
BAHRU (Malaysia): India thrashed Korea 6-1 in their penultimate
round-robin match to virtually seal their place in the final of the Sultan of Johor Cup Under-21 hockey tournament on Thursday. The Indian colts scored three goals each in either half at the Taman Daya Hockey stadium to continue their unbeaten run in the six-nation tournament.
It was India's fourth win on the trot in the tournament, having defeated England (2-1), Argentina (3-2) and Pakistan (4-0) in their previous matches.
For India, Amit Rohidas (7th minute), Satbir Singh (9th), Talwinder Singh (31st) netted three goals in the first half, while Amon Mirash Tikey (57th), Ramadeep Singh (62nd) and vice-captain Affan Yusof (65th) score three more on the other side of the break.
Korea's lone goal came from the stick of You Seung Ju in the 34th minute.
With 12 points in their kitty, India are at the top of the league standings and will play hosts and second-placed Malaysia in their last round-robin match on Saturday.
Against Korea, the Indians came up with a commanding performance and dominated the share of exchanges in the first half with a comfortable 3-0 lead.
It took India just seven minutes to open the scoring through drag-flicker Rohidas who converted a penalty corner with precision that Korean goalkeeper Lee Se Young had no answer.
India doubled their lead two minutes later through a field goal from Satbir after he was set up by Harjeet Singh.
Talwinder made it 3-0 for the Indians four minutes from half time through another field strike.
The Koreans, however, managed to pull one back three minutes later when You Seung Ju scored from a penalty corner.
India slowed down the pace after the lemon break and conceded a few penalty corners but the Koreans failed to utilise the scoring chances.
After a slow start to the second half, India gradually took control of the proceedings and scored three more field goals to run away with the match.
Amon Mirash Tikey scored India's fourth goal in the 57th minute before Ramandeep scored his fifth goal in the tournament five minutes later. Yusof completed the rout for Korea five minutes from the hooter.
India's chief coach Gregg Clark was full of praise for his wards after their sterling performance.
"It was a good performance and this surely gives me a welcome headache as we have several more players back in India that are fighting for a place in the final 18 to the Junior World Cup," Clark said.
"We are playing well and credit to the boys who are executing our tactics and plans well on the pitch. As a coach this is something we look towards hence the performance in the last two matches has been on the rise," he added.
CSK vs SRH-Dhoni, Raina power Chennai Super Kings to 202/4
NEW DELHI: Suresh Raina smashed a quickfire half-century while skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni produced a belligerent unbeaten knock of 63 as Chennai Super Kings toyed with a listless Sunrisers Hyderabad bowling attack to post a massive 202 for four in their Champions League T20 match.Raina's impressive 57-ball 84 was perfectly matched by Dhoni's pyrotechnics as the hard-hitting local skipper broke the spirits of the Sunrisers bowlers with his ruthless batting display, here today.
Such was the brutality as neither speed nor spin provided any challenge to Dhoni as he decorated his 19-ball knock with an astonishing eight sixes.
There was no mistaking the impact Dhoni's arrival had on the innings and no one could better understand it than Sri Lankan all-rounder Thisara Perera, who was smashed for five huge sixes in the 18th over.
Dhoni, in the process, also struck the fastest fifty in the history of the Champions League, reaching the landmark in just 16 balls and surpassing West Indian Kieron Pollard's record (50 off 18 balls).
Dhoni played a leader's innings of the finest order and, together with Raina, put on a 60-run partnership in just 23 balls for the fourth wicket.
Before Dhoni's arrival, the show belonged entirely to Raina and his powerful stroke-play.
Walking in to bat after the dismissal of opener Murali Vijay, Raina took time to get his eyes in and then made the most of the Sunrisers' tactics of utilising pace against him.
Raina unleashed an assault on the Sunrisers pacers in the middle part of the innings, launching them over the mid-wicket and long-off boundaries with consummate ease.
Raina walked back to the pavillion in the penultimate over of the innings when he single-handedly caught by Perera at long on off Dale Steyn.
Raina's fine knock was decorated with nine fours and a six.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

