Sunday, 8 December 2013

South Africa beat India by 134 runs in second Ind vs SA ODI


DURBAN: Batting prodigy Quinton de Kock hit his second successive century to set up a convincing, series-clinching 134-run win for South Africa in the second one-day international against India at Kingsmead on Sunday. 
South Africa 280/6 (49.0 ov)
India 146/10 (35.1 ov)
South Africa beat India by 134 runs
 

Man Utd slump to Newcastle loss by 0-1

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71603000/jpg/_71603437_454113811.jpg
Manchester United slumped to their second home Premier League defeat in the space of four days as Yohan Cabaye's goal gave Newcastle a first league victory at Old Trafford since 1972. 
The home side struggled to break down the Magpies, other than a flurry of chances at the start of the second half, with Patrice Evra heading against the post before the ball rebounded against Vurnon Anita's arm.
Newcastle struck on the break when Cabaye fired home Moussa Sissoko's cross.
Robin van Persie had a header disallowed as Manchester United tried to respond, but Newcastle held on for a famous victory which means home form that had been cause for concern for boss David Moyes is now turning into a crisis.
The Scot's side have dropped 13 points out of 24 in front of their own fans this season and suffered back-to-back league defeats at Old Trafford for the first time since the end of the 2001-02 season.
Wednesday's loss to Everton meant Moyes's side came into this game already trailing
eaders Arsenal by 12 points and in danger of being out of the title race by Christmas. At this rate, a top-four place will also be beyond them.
Old Trafford has been the site of many a late goal to deny visitors victory in the past but large numbers of home fans had left before the end, clearly believing an equaliser was beyond their side.
The same problems that have haunted Moyes all season were present here - a lack of creativity in midfield, and a vulnerability on the break at the back.
Chances were thin on the ground in a cagey first half, as Newcastle's five-man midfield worked hard to keep their hosts quiet.
With Wayne Rooney suspended, Van Persie's return after four games out was a welcome boost for Moyes and the Dutchman was expected to provide the spark in attack.
There was little inspiration in that department, however, and a tame Phil Jones shot from the edge of the area was the only time Krul had to make a save in the first half.
In fact it was Newcastle who had the best effort before the interval, when Mathieu Debuchy found space to fire in a shot from the right of the area that was pushed away by David De Gea.
Manchester United looked more like their old selves at the start of the second half, when Javier Hernandez tested Krul and Evra's
header was only kept out by a combination of the post and Anita.
But Newcastle survived and hit back in style just after the hour mark when Sissoko escaped down the right and found Cabaye waiting to fire home from his pull-back.
And, for the third time on home soil this season, there was to be no Manchester United comeback.
Van Persie had a goal ruled out for offside, Adnan Januzaj was denied by Krul and substitute Wilfried Zaha curled a shot wide but, in truth, Newcastle did not face anything like a late onslaught. Van Persie was otherwise anonymous, and this was a largely insipid display.

Feeble England could lose 5-0 - Michael Vaughan in Ashes 2013-14

England are in grave danger of being whitewashed 5-0 in the Ashes after a "pathetic" batting display during the second Test match against Australia, says former captain Michael Vaughan.
The tourists crumbled to 172 all out in Adelaide as they finished day three 530 runs behind their dominant hosts.
"England look as if they are petrified of the ball and that is a real worry," said Vaughan on Test Match Special.
"I can't see any other result than 5-0 the way this England team are playing."
England, trailing 1-0 in the series after a heavy defeat in Brisbane, lost their last six wickets for 55 runs as Mitchell Johnson (7-40) ran through their middle and lower order. Australia then reached 132-3 by the close.
Vaughan was alarmed by the lack of fight from England's players in the face of a high-class spell of fast bowling.
"It's been pathetic, feeble - there is no way you can protect this batting today," he said. "England would have been blown away on day one if they'd batted like this. They are mentally shot.
"Even when England lost 5-0 in 2006-07, I don't remember them folding like this. This is as bad as I have seen from an England side."
Vaughan, who captained England to their first Ashes triumph in 18 years in 2005, believes there were signs their standards were slipping during the 3-0 victory over Australia in July and August.
"The last three Test matches of the summer were the warning signs for this England team," added Vaughan.
"They weren't playing great. Their brand of cricket was poor - attritional and very negative. If you can't go out and express your game when you are 2-0 up in an Ashes series on home soil, when you've doctored your own decks, there's a real problem.

Mitchell Johnson take England on back foot

Johnson took 7-40, including a wonderful spell of 5-16 in five overs after lunch, as England were rattled out for a feeble 172 to concede a first-innings deficit of 398 runs.
Only Ian Bell, with an unbeaten 72, and Michael Carberry (60) offered any resistance as their team-mates either tossed their wickets away or were simply unable to cope with Johnson's fearsome pace.
Twice the left-armer was on hat-tricks after both Stuart Broad and James Anderson were bowled first ball, while Matt Prior's dismal run of form continued with his fifth duck in nine Tests.
With time on their side, Australia then opted to bat again, and had extended their lead to 530 with seven wickets still in hand by the close.
But with two full days to come, England need a miracle in the city of churches to prevent themselves going 2-0 down in this Ashes series.
So abject was this display, and so one-sided has been the series thus far, that Australia are now unarguable favourites to win back the urn for the first time since 2009.
Needing 371 to avoid the follow-on after Australia's runaway 570-9 declared, England had begun with determination and discipline, only for all that to rapidly evaporate into the warm south Australian air in the hour before lunch.
Joe Root set the tone, slog-sweeping the first ball he faced from Nathan Lyon to Chris Rogers at deep square leg to throw away his wicket for 15 after 79 previously patient deliveries.


The Analyst: England's batting collapse
If that was wasteful, Kevin Pietersen - scorer of 158 and 227 in his previous two Tests on this ground - was then guilty of a crass misjudgement when, with two men in catching on the leg side, he attempted to flick Peter Siddle over them and instead picked out George Bailey at mid-wicket for just four.
Carberry and Bell briefly arrested the descent, Carberry going to his maiden Test half century, before David Warner clung on to a diving one-handed catch at mid-wicket to see off the opener.
But the real horror began after lunch, when Johnson tore in from the Cathedral End like some fast-bowling banshee to blow the
England middle order away.
In the space of one extraordinary over he had debutant Ben Stokes trapped lbw on review for one, Prior caught behind after being roughed up with two short ones and Broad bowled behind his legs the very next ball.
Graeme Swann survived the hat-trick ball at the start of Johnson's next over but then swiped at a wide one to be brilliantly caught by Michael Clarke at second slip for seven.
Next into the mincing machine was Anderson, bowled for a golden duck and given a fierce send-off by the close fielders as he departed, head bowed.
In five and a half overs Johnson had taken six wickets, England losing six for 24 either side of lunch. Johnson leaves England in disarray
Alone amid the wreckage stood Bell, who went on the attack with only Monty Panesar for company and raced past his half century as Johnson was rested.
But when the fast bowler was recalled to the attack, he bowled the brave Panesar to leave England adrift in a sea of scorn.
As Australia looked for quick runs, Anderson had Rogers caught behind for two and Shane Watson taken in the gully for a duck before Panesar bowled Clarke with a beauty that drifted and turned.
But the pugnacious Warner (83 not out) and Steve Smith (23 not out) saw them to the close at 132-3 to leave their side in total control.