Saturday, 21 December 2013

Nico Rosberg suffers tyre failure at 200mph

Nico Rosberg suffers tyre failure in Bahrain Pirelli test

Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg suffered a 200mph tyre failure on Thursday at a private Pirelli test in Bahrain.

The German's Mercedes outfit are among four teams helping F1 supplier Pirelli with development work in the Gulf state this week.
Rosberg tweeted: "Just spun at full speed 320km/h on Bahrain straight because my tyre blew up without warning."
The tweet was deleted within a few minutes of being posted.
A Pirelli statement said: "The tyre tests in Bahrain regarded a number of prototypes, which were completely innovative in terms of structure and compounds, with the aim of developing the most suitable solutions for the next season.
"This morning Nico Rosberg's Mercedes was fitted with one of these prototypes, a tyre which had only been tested in the laboratory and which will not be proposed again.
"Thus, the safety of the tyres which will be supplied for the next championship is not in question.
"The accident which happened to Rosberg's car is being investigated and the findings will be communicated to the FIA and the teams."
Damage to Rosberg's Mercedes caused by the spin and the tyre failure meant the team had to end its programme for the week.
Red Bull, Ferrari and Toro Rosso are also taking part in the test,  which started on Tuesday and ends on Thursday.
Pirelli asked for the test because it felt it was important to do more development work on its tyres ahead of the 2014 season, when major rules changes come into force.
It is concerned that the greater torque of the new turbo engines will put more demands on the tyres and it wants to avoid the problems it suffered this year.
Pirelli needed to change the design of its tyres in the middle of the season following a series of dramatic failures, culminating in six issues at the British Grand Prix.

The FIA, which governs the sport, has an observer at the test and will expect an explanation for the tyre failure.
It was understood Pirelli would no longer conduct safety testing on the track and that the testing would be done on a rig, before durability and performance testing was conducted on a circuit.
Pirelli has constantly complained, since it became F1's tyre supplier in 2011, that the severe limitations on testing in the sport were making its job impossible.
As a result, F1 has introduced four in-season tests in 2014 to help Pirelli develop its tyres.
Pirelli has a contract with F1 for the next five years but the FIA has not yet made clear its status as the sport's official tyre supplier in 2014.
Earlier on Thursday, a Pirelli spokesman said: "The test in Bahrain is a private tyre test, so most data generated from it is confidential. However, incidents can happen, this is what testing is for. Our testing programme will continue as planned."

Michael Laverty signs up for second year in MotoGP

Michael Laverty signs up for second year in MotoGP

Michael Laverty at MotoGP testing in Valencia

Northern Ireland's Michael Laverty will compete in MotoGP for a second year with the Paul Bird team in 2014.

The 32-year-old Toomebridge rider will be joined by Australian Broc Parkes on board the PBM Aprilias.
Laverty, the British Supersport champion in 2004, ended his debut MotoGP season in 25th place overall, with a best result of 13th at Jerez.
Parkes, 31, raced a Kawasaki for the PBM team in World Superbikes in 2009.
"We learned so much in year one and I am delighted Paul has continued his involvement with MotoGP and given me the opportunity to continue with the project," said Laverty.
"Everyone has told me that year two is much easier, so the aim is to put into place what we have learned and to raise our game.
"The class is going to be a lot tougher with the new production bikes, but our aim is to consistently score points."

Steven Finn and Joe Root support Andy Flower

England cricketers Joe Root (left) and Steven Finn

Steven Finn and Joe Root support Andy Flower

England seamer Steven Finn says it would be "a great loss" if Andy Flower left his position as England coach.
Flower will not comment on his future beyond the end of the Ashes series, which England lost to Australia with two Tests still to play.
"He's been fantastic for the group," Finn told BBC Radio 5 live.
"He's always working extremely hard to make sure that we're as prepared as we can possibly be for Test matches. It would be a great loss if he goes."
Finn, who was given his Test debut by Flower on England's tour of Bangladesh in March 2010, added: "I've had a really good working relationship with him and a personal relationship."
England had won three successive Ashes series under Flower.
The 45-year-old Zimbabwean also guided the team to victory in the ICC W
orld Twenty20 competition in 2010 and led them to the top of the Test rankings a year later. But former England captain Geoffrey Boycott said the coach must decide on his future quickly so the side can plan ahead.
Batsman Joe Root has also offered his support for Flower.
"He has done a fantastic thing for English cricket over his career," said the 22-year-old. "He's been very good for my development as a player. It's been great working with him and hopefully that can continue."
Root also said the team should not look further ahead than the fourth Test in Melbourne, starting on Boxing Day.
"It's a massive game for us and we want to put a lot of things right," he said. "If we start looking too far ahead, things could slip away.

winger Nani ruled out for few weeks hamstring injury



Nani
 

Manchester United winger Nani has been ruled out for "a few weeks" with a hamstring injury.

The 27-year-old, who has made eight league appearances so far this season, has not featured since the 1-0 home defeat by Newcastle on 7 December.
"[It] is a little bit worse than we thought," said manager David Moyes.
Robin van Persie is already out for the next month with a thigh injury, while Wayne Rooney is doubtful for Saturday's game with West Ham.
Portugal international Nani has featured sporadically under Moyes, although he requires just three more league appearances to match last season's tally of 11.
The former Sporting Lisbon player signed a contract extension in September, which could keep him at Old Trafford until 2018.

Luis Suarez signs new Liverpool deal

Luis Suarez signs new  Liverpool deal

Luis Suarez has signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract with Liverpool.
The striker, 26, joined the Reds in January 2011 and has scored 17 goals in 11 Premier League starts this season.
Suarez, whose original deal was set to expire in 2016, will earn around £160,000 until the end of this season and then £200,000 per week over the final four years of the contract.
"I am delighted to have agreed a new deal with Liverpool and have my future secured for the long term," he said.
"I believe I can achieve the ambitions of winning trophies and playing at the very highest level with Liverpool. My aim is to help get us there as quickly as possible."
Suarez admitted his close bond with Liverpool's fans was an important factor in his decision, particularly their backing during his 10-match ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic earlier this year.
He told Liverpool TV: "I love the city and the supporters. They have helped me and I try my best on the pitch.
"It was a difficult time after the summer, but they helped me come back and play and I think when supporters help you off the pitch you try your best to make them happy on the pitch."
He also revealed that manager Brendan Rodgers played an influential role in persuading him to pledge his immediate future to Liverpool.
"He was very important. When you have confidence with the manager you can try your best," he said.
"When the team is together and you are happy in the dressing room, that makes me happy."
Suarez's relationship with leading figures at Anfield has improved significantly since he attempted to force a move to Arsenal in the summer.
The Gunners made two bids for the Uruguay international, including a club-record offer of £40m plus £1 in an attempt to trigger a release clause in his contract.
Both were rejected, with Liverpool boss Rodgers accusing Arsenal of "playing games".
Suarez was considering submitting a formal transfer request and also the possibility of court action if the dispute was not resolved as he believed the second bid triggered a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave the Anfield club.
Suarez was initially made to train alone during pre-season, but returned to the first-team fold on 16 August after talks with Rodgers.
"This is fantastic news for everyone associated with the club; the team, the owners and most importantly the supporters," Rodgers said on Liverpool's official website. 
"Luis is a world-class talent and securing his services is crucial for what we are trying to achieve here.
"What's most important and most exciting is that, at just 26 years old, his best years are still ahead of him and we now know we'll be seeing him reach that potential in a Liverpool shirt."
Suarez's time at Liverpool has often been controversial and he has previously been handed handed two long-term bans.
He was banned for eight games in December 2011 for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra before receiving his 10-match ban in April for the incident with Ivanovic.

Cheteshwar Pujara score unbeaten 135

Centurion Pujara powers India to 284/2, lead South Africa by 320

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournament/india-in-south-africa-2013/top-stories/Ind-vs-SA-Centurion-Pujara-powers-India-to-284/2-lead-South-Africa-by-320-runs/articleshow/27677626.cms?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=TOISportsJOHANNESBURG: Cheteshwar Pujara slammed a sparkling unbeaten 135 as India gained firm control of the first Test against South Africa with the top-order showing remarkable application to give the visitors a substantial overall lead of 320 on Friday.

Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri is AIFF Player of the Year 2013

NEW DELHI: Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri was named the 2013 AIFF Player of the Year by AIFF president Praful Patel during the Annual General Meeting on Friday.

Chhetri, who had earlier won the Award twice in 2007 and 2011, was chosen the winner after voting by I-League coaches at AIFF Headquarters.

"It feels great and I am very thankful to all the coaches for voting for me. But then I don't take it too seriously. It feels good for a while and then you ought to brush it off and move on," Chhetri said.

"Sometimes Awards can make you complacent and if you become so, then it doesn't take much time for your form to dip. All these years I have learnt to deal with adulations and criticism in a normal way. Honestly, I'm still learning."

Chhetri, who is presently India's highest-ever goal-scorer in international football with 43 goals, will be presented a prize of Rs. 2 lakh besides a trophy. The Indian captain thus became only the second player after IM Vijayan to have won the Award thrice.

"I have been very fortunate to have amazing lads as my Teammates -- my mates from Churchill Brothers and presently from Bengaluru FC. I also want to take this opportunity to thank all the Players that I have played with for my National Team as none of those 43 goals would have been possible without their support," Chhetri said.

"I also need to thank the Coaching staff of both the Clubs that I have played this year and obviously from the National Team."

Asked about his most pleasant moment of 2013, Chhetri said: "Winning the I-League crown with Churchill Brothers and joining an amazing Club like Bengaluru FC. Scoring the 43rd goal for my Country -- that too in front of my mom who watched the match from the stands at the Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri was indeed special too!"

To his critics, Chhetri said: "People are free to speak whatever they want - lavish praise or criticise. But all of that wouldn't change the fact that I'll keep working hard and keep pushing myself to get better with every day. I love my Football and am very passionate about it.

"Injuries have hit me hard almost every season and I pray to the Almighty to keep me fit. This is the only season where I haven't yet succumbed to injuries (touch wood)."

All India Football Federation also instituted three more new Awards along with re-instituting the AIFF Women's Player of the Year.

Oinam Bembem Devi was adjudged the 2013 AIFF Women's Player of the Year. Bembem Devi was the only recipient of the Award, the sole time it was announced in 2001.

The 33-year old Bembem Devi will be presented a prize of Rs. 1 lakh besides a Trophy.

AIFF also declared Jeje Lalpekhlua as the 2013 Emerging Player of the Year. The 22-year striker from Mizoram has already donned the National jersey 43 times scoring 14 goals so far. Jeje will be presented a prize of Rs. 75000 besides a Trophy.

"My heartiest congratulations to Sunil, Bembem Devi and Jeje. All of them are worthy recipients of the Award," Patel said.

The last two Awards instituted on the day were the Award for the Best Grassroots Development Programme which was bagged by Mizoram FA, while the Award for long time contribution to Indian Football was awarded to Tata Football Academy.

"This is a token of appreciation to the good work they have been doing. We expect others to follow the path," Patel said.


All the Awards would be presented in an Awards Night in February organised by FICCI